There’s no better way to show your holiday spirit than wearing an “ugly sweater”. These traditional bad boys are no longer your grandma’s knit but rather something quite trendy. As fun as they are to wear they are even funner to make! You can be as creative as you want.
- Sweater (we used men’s thermals because we could not find anything that fit us both)
- Felt pieces (we used holiday crafting felt pieces from Michael’s but you can definitely make your own)
- Fabric paint
- Decorative knick-knacks (buttons, sequins, etc)
- Fabric glue/hot glue (depending how permanent you want the results to be)
- I would recommend washing/drying your garments first to make sure it won’t shrink and warp your design.
- Use whatever pieces you have to make an design. This is fun part. (We spread our gingerbread man/woman evenly apart in the front and sewed them on)
- You can use foam pieces to make stamps. Just thinly cover one side of the foam with fabric paint. Then stamp away!
- If you cannot find any pieces or do not have the time to find any, you can just draw your design on. Just remember to draw as thin as possible. I recommend using a paint brush instead of using the squeeze bottle tip.
- If you are planning to many with the same design, I recommend making a stencil using contact paper and X-acto knife. Then you can use a brush to dab the paint on each one.
- If you are short on time or sewing is too much, you can opt for fabric glue. There is different glue for fabric-fabric, and fabric with objects like buttons or sequins. If you have a hot glue gun, fabric hot glue stick is available.
- If you are stuck on your design, look for inspiration online!